I made this last night and it was SO good, I had to share the recipe!
photo credit to Claire/WPOC
I'd never made pumpkin chili before, so I looked at a ton of recipes and ended up deciding not to follow any of them, and instead to make up one of my own! It was SO easy, surprisingly healthy, and crazy-delicious!
You will need:
- a crock pot!
- 1 16 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 16 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz can of corn (whole kernel)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 lbs ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder
Dice the onion and saute in EVOO on medium heat. As soon as they start to sweat, add the turkey and cook together on med-high heat. Add worchestershire, and approximately 3-4 tsp of the following: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder. That might sound like a lot, but turkey is bland. Cook approximately 12 minutes, until turkey is crumbled and cooked through.
While cooking, wash and dice the red bell pepper and toss into the crock pot (SIDENOTE: do yourself a favor and get crock pot liners! No clean up!). Next, add tomatoes, sauce, beans, corn, and pumpkin.
When the turkey and onions are browned and cooked through, add them to the (lined) crock pot. Add another 2-3 tsp of the spices (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder). Stir everything together, cover, and cook on high for 5 hours.
I served mine with sprinkled cheese and diced scallions on top.
I am absolutely OBSESSED!
I already LOVED Hunter Hayes' version of the song "Everybody's Got Somebody But Me" but now this new version is just amazing!
Hunter and Jason Mraz got together with a ton of YouTube singers who have covered the song, and made this super Mash-Up that is guaranteed to make your ears very happy!
They say this girl is the next Taylor Swift!
photo credit to Getty Images
Country/folk tunes with a young, catchy, feminine appeal. She's from Norway, and her name is Marit Larsen. Watch the video and you will definitely see the comparison!
photo credit to Getty Images
THE WALKING DEAD IS BACK!
And truly, it seems better than ever! This show simply does not disappoint. For those of you just joining, during The Walking Dead I do Monday Morning Power Rankings of the top 5 best characters and the top 5 worst characters from Sunday night's new episode. The rules of the game are there that are no rules. I rank as I see fit, and it's mostly just a way to see the show through someone else's thoughts and theories. There are ALWAYS massive spoilers so if you DVR, don't read below!
5. ALMOST WALKER - I have to call her the "almost walker" because to be honest I didn't catch her name. The Irish/Scottish woman that was so far beyond sane. You might be wondering why she makes our "best" list... She was nuts, scary, and kind of a jerk. BUT last year when I did the Walking Dead live experience, I SWEAR I looked exactly like her when I had my walker makeup done by the AMC makeup artists! Seriously, THAT is what I will look like when the apocalypse comes. So yeah, that's a best.
4. DARYL - because let's be honest, it looks like he's about to be the freaking President of the Prison. Slaying deers and delivering death notices like a boss. Also... Did he dye his hair? Or does he need a shower?
3. TYRESE - and his new love interest! Adorable! It's about time we saw a Walking Dead wedding! But please, see #2 on the WORST LIST below and follow my instructions! For the love of walkers!
2. RICK - I can't believe Rick made the best list for once! But he seems sane and happier than usual and his senses seem to be back. He's being more observant and looking at the world around him... In the scene with the dead pig at the end, you could really see his wheels turning. And for awhile there, his wheels were stuck in neutral.
1. BETH - I'm sure it was supposed to be very sad to the viewer that Beth wasn't upset that her boyfriend was eaten by a walker because she is so desensitized. But honestly, all I could say was GOOD FOR YOU, GIRL! If only because... reeeally, she's 16. It's definitely better that she doesn't fall in love with some random boy she meets at the end of the world. Be strong, move on. Pretty soon she'll be running the world.
5. ALMOST WALKER - She makes the worst list because she was a psycho. And a jerk.
4. ARMY DOCTOR - Again, can we get these characters some names?! Sorry, the new, extra-gross walkers this season were distracting (anyone else notice the changes?) Anyway, this guy... Can you believe this? He begs to go on the mission, says he is a team player, won't let the group down, blah blah blah... So of COURSE his wanting to steal some alcohol for himself and getting distracted from the mission almost gets them all killed. Of course.
3. WALKERS - They had to make the list for their truly gruesome new looks! My theory is that as the seasons go on, there are more walkers and less people (walker food) so the walkers get hungrier. It's interesting, because you might think they would be weaker, and maybe they are, but once they know there is food nearby they get LOUD and they get VICIOUS. Maybe season 5 or 6 they will finally weaken?
2. MAGGIE AND GLEN - ...Seriously guys? If there was EVER a time to use protection, it would be NOW. Maggie... She is out to lunch if she thinks a baby is a good idea. Especially since SHE'S the one who delivered Judith! Crazy lady.
1. PATRICK - also known as Harry Potter? This guy... SMH... Patrick we hardly knew you. Seriously though, he seemed like a promising character! Kind, funny, supportive... He was set up to be a major player! And in a way he is a major player because now we know that the virus is getting WORSE. My hypothesis is that now, instead of having to die before you turn, I bet that if you have a weak immune system the virus can attack you and turn you without you actually having to die first. Also, eating the meat of an infected animal (like the pig) will obviously get you killed. It took 4 seasons and a turned kid in the shower to realize this?
Can't get enough WD recaps? Wanna read more? Check out this blogger's weekly review... She cracks me up!
Monday - Stuffed Shells
I've just been craving homemade stuffed shells for a few days... No idea why or where the craving came from, but I'm making this tonight! I'll do ricotta with fresh spinach (4 cups roughly chopped and tightly packed, then sauted for just about 4 minutes until it's cooked down by at least half and still bright green) stuffed shells, and to be honest... I'll probably be too lazy to make homemade sauce and I'll just use jarred. Can't win them all, folks!
Tuesday - Cider Dijon Pork Chops with Roasted Apples
Clearly I still have a ton of apples from apple picking! Ha! I've made this recipe before with chicken instead of pork (chicken is just easier to cook than pork!) and I add a tablespoon of soy sauce because it gives it a better consistancy and a little salt kick.
Wednesday - Steak with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce
I know I just had steak last week but this recipe looks too good to wait! I'll serve this with a big fall salad on the side... Arugula, blue or goat cheese, apple chunks, red onion, and waluts with a balsamic dressing.
Thursday - Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup
Not only does this look awesome, but it also looks CHEAP! Can of black beans? $.90 max. Same goes for a can of diced tomatoes. Plus, most of the spices are dry spices that you probably already have in your cabinet! Serve with crusty artisan bread for dipping and a nice salad... Maybe caesar? Homemade croutons if you're feeling fancy!
Friday - THE BEST RECIPE EVER
That is not a joke title up there. This is the best recipe ever. It's EASY, so easy it's ridiculous. It's DELICIOUS, so delicious you will literally not believe it. I haven't made it since last winter, because for awhile there I was making it EVERY WEEK and I didn't want to get sick of it! So I designated it a cold-weather only meal. When you cook it in all it's glory, it's actually pretty bad for you, if only because it's so delicious you are guaranteed to overeat. So if you want to make it healthier, substitute whole wheat pasta (you'll need to cook it a little longer), low fat cheese, etc. But I don't recommend doing that because you will ruin how awesome this meal is, and I want you to enjoy it!