Photo credit: Thinkstock
Ahhh, the new year. The busiest time of year for gyms and health clubs around the nation. I enjoy this time of year because I get to see so many new faces at the gym. All of these people that are so dedicated to shed a few pounds. Too bad that dedication only lasts a couple of weeks before the row of exercise bikes looks like a ghost town again.
I came across a list of a few different ways to help you stick with your work out routine. You can see the whole list HERE, but these were a few of my favorites.
1) Work out with someone fitter than you. Definitely makes sense. Having that person there will push you to go further.
2) Try exercising outside. That's tough this time of year because of our weather, but it does help. There's something to be said about trying to perform better when other people are watching you. I know when I run outside that I move a whole lot faster when I'm passing people.
3) Use exercise video games as a gateway drug. I hate to break it to you, but playing Dance Dance Revolution after school/work isn't going to get you beach ready. That being said, it can be a great stepping stone to making you feel more comfortable for a better workout down the road.
4) You don't have to lift huge weights. It's a good idea to mix cardio and weight training, but don't feel like you have to lift 700lbs to get good results. There are a ton of great exercises that use just your body weight as resistance (pushups, squats, lunges etc.) that can be just as effective as laying down on a bench press and piling up the weight. Maybe even more effective.
5) Drink red wine. Any excuse to have a nice glass of wine is ok with me. Seriously though, this probably isn't a great tactic. I just think it's funny. There are some ingredients in wine that can benefit your health, but you'll still need to get some good exercise to see any results.